Hi Friends! 🙂 Here’s the last episode in the series about the neighborhood of Old Fort. In this one, we visit the Bhairon Mandir which is situated adjacent to the Old Fort. The main deity of the temple is Kaal Bhairav – the fierce manifestation of Shiva associated with annihilation.
The temple is said to be established by the Pandava brothers during the building of their capital Indraprastha.
The video has references to the following aspects related to the place:
The depiction of the main deity inside the temple and the also, the modern sculptures of Hanuman and Bhima (one of the Pandavas)
The inclusion of Bhairav among the deities of the Buddhist pantheon
The reason behind liquor being the main offering at the temple
Check out the video for more! 🙂
Here’s the next episode where we visit the Dargah of Sheikh Abu Bakr Tusi – a Sufi saint of the Qalandari order (Qalandari Silsila) from the 13th century. The video primarily tells about the following stories and other aspects associated with this place:
- Hazrat Sheikh Abu Bakr Tusi Haideri Qalandari – also known as Matka Peer
- The story behind how the saint once miraculously cured an ailing person
- The story of how Sultan Balban tested the powers of the saint
- The reasons behind the offerings of gram, jaggery and earthen pots to the saint
- Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya’s association with the place
- Khwaja Hasan Nizami’s and Lady Hardinge’s role in preventing the demolition of the shrine
Hope you like it! 🙂
In this episode, we visit the place that is believed to be the burial place of Abdul Qadir Bedil – a celebrated poet of the 17th century.
Here, we get to know about the following aspects in connection with the site:
- Bedil – one of the most well known and revered poets of Persian language
- The poetry societies, run by Afghan taxi drivers of Washington DC, dedicated to Bedil’s poetry
- Ghalib’s high opinion of Bedil’s poetry
- The story around Aurangzeb’s order and Bedil’s remark
- The argument about Bedil’s actual burial place
Hope you enjoy! 🙂
In this episode, we visit the Dargah of Hazrat Khwaja Nooruddin – a Sufi saint of the Qadri Order (Qadri Silisila).
The video essentially includes the following aspects associated to this place:
- Sheikh Nooruddin’s burial place at Bagh e Bedil, Delhi, India
- The Qadri Silisila – a Sufi Order
- Interaction between Sheikh Nooruddin and Matke Shah, another Sufi saint, and the story behind the title Maalak Yar e Parran
In this episode we visit Laal Darwaza, also known as Sher Shah Suri Gate, near the Old Fort in Delhi. We get to know about the following aspects of medieval India associated to this place:
- Sher Shah Suri’s empire starting from Bihar and Bengal till his rule inDelhi after he defeated Humayun
- Sher Shah as a brilliant administrator and an able general and how his empire laid the foundations of the later Mughal emperors
- His rule over Delhi was quite short, around 5 years, and within this short period he was able to set up a new civic and military administration, issued the first Rupiya (Indian currency) and re-organised the postal system of India
- A little about Sher Shah’s successor Islam Shah and more monuments and ruins associated to the Sur dynasty like the Isa Khan Tomb etc.
In this episode we visit the Khairul Manazil mosque built under the patronage ofMaham Anga, Emperor Akbar’s wet-nurse. The video primarily covers the following aspects associated to this place:
- Emperor Akbar
- Akbar’s wet-nurse Maham Anga and her son’s Quli Khan and Adham Khan
- The arrow attack on Akbar from the walls of this mosque
- Shihabuddin Ahmed Khan and how Neher-e-Shihab became the link between Feroz Shah Tughlaq’s canal-network and Shahjehan’s canal at Chandni Chowk
- Architecture of Khairul Manazil mosque and modern restoration work
Chk out the video to know more about this place 🙂
Ever been around the vicinity of Old Fort area ? There are so many small n big heritage sites out there.. some ruins.. some religious places.. old burial grounds hiding some artistic as well as spiritual gems within .. and so much more! Ever wondered why all these places are together situated in the vicinity of Purana Qila?
Join us in this journey as we discover the neighborhood of Old Fort and all the serene heritage treasured there 🙂
Here’s Episode #1.. more to come! Stay tuned 🙂