In this episode we visit Laal Darwaza, also known as Sher Shah Suri Gate, near the Old Fort in Delhi. We get to know about the following aspects of medieval India associated to this place:
- Sher Shah Suri’s empire starting from Bihar and Bengal till his rule inDelhi after he defeated Humayun
- Sher Shah as a brilliant administrator and an able general and how his empire laid the foundations of the later Mughal emperors
- His rule over Delhi was quite short, around 5 years, and within this short period he was able to set up a new civic and military administration, issued the first Rupiya (Indian currency) and re-organised the postal system of India
- A little about Sher Shah’s successor Islam Shah and more monuments and ruins associated to the Sur dynasty like the Isa Khan Tomb etc.
In this episode we visit the Khairul Manazil mosque built under the patronage ofMaham Anga, Emperor Akbar’s wet-nurse. The video primarily covers the following aspects associated to this place:
- Emperor Akbar
- Akbar’s wet-nurse Maham Anga and her son’s Quli Khan and Adham Khan
- The arrow attack on Akbar from the walls of this mosque
- Shihabuddin Ahmed Khan and how Neher-e-Shihab became the link between Feroz Shah Tughlaq’s canal-network and Shahjehan’s canal at Chandni Chowk
- Architecture of Khairul Manazil mosque and modern restoration work
Chk out the video to know more about this place 🙂
Ever been around the vicinity of Old Fort area ? There are so many small n big heritage sites out there.. some ruins.. some religious places.. old burial grounds hiding some artistic as well as spiritual gems within .. and so much more! Ever wondered why all these places are together situated in the vicinity of Purana Qila?
Join us in this journey as we discover the neighborhood of Old Fort and all the serene heritage treasured there 🙂
Here’s Episode #1.. more to come! Stay tuned 🙂
We were at the enchanting Dargah of Matka Pir in Delhi few days back.. and besides the mystical and blessed ambiance, we also witnessed this philosufical music there!! Must visit for all Delhi lovers !! 🙂
Know more about this place, it’s history and the various stories associated to it in a different blog post here.
Experience some Sufi music from this place in the video below 🙂