Just wanted to share some info with you, so that you are out of any sorts of trouble ☺
I got a call this morning, supposedly from Airtel, stating that I’ve won some lottery. The way that guy spoke wasn’t so convincing. So, I enquired the same from Airtel and got to know that this was a FRAUD. Please refer to the details in the text given below. It’ll help.
Please spread the word if you feel like !!
Thanks and take care.
(Excerpts from my interaction with Airtel.)
Subject: URGENT : Airtel LOTTERY – FRAUD or TRUE ??
This is regarding a phone call that I received from supposedly an Airtel executive. Please read on and assist me.
I got a call from one Mr. Sunil today (20 March 2010 9:39 A.M.) from this phone no.: +923437831712.
He mentioned that he was calling from Airtel Mumbai and informed me that I have won an Airtel Lottery worth Rs.25Lakhs on my phone number.
He further added that to claim this amount I need to do the following:
1. Call up this no. – 009 230 5500 3595
2. ..and ask for Senior Supervisor Vijay Kumar .
3. ..and supposedly Vijay will tell me how to proceed.
Now, I just want to confirm this thing with Airtel as I have had no clue of such a lottery being held. Please assist me by confirming the same.
Also Mr.Sunil did not sound like a groomed customer care guy, thereby raising a few doubts !!
Looking forward to your response.
Response from Airtel
Dear Aditya Pathak,
Thank you for contacting Airtel.
You have inquired about the details of lottery for your Airtel mobile number 9xxxxxxxxx.
We would like to inform you that we request you not to attend those calls, who calls and informs you that you have won a lottery/award conducted by the respective telecom operator. We assure you that these calls do not represent Airtel.
At Airtel would like to issue a general advisory to all mobile/landline users to protect them from such malicious activities. Hence, we request you to notes these things in this concern:
1. Avoid responding to suspicious missed calls from unknown numbers, especially those beginning with +92.
2. Do not respond to any SMS from unknown sources prompting to call on a number.
3. Refrain from sharing any personal information & identity proofs like Voter ID Number, PAN Number, Bank Account Number, Credit Card information or make any payment to people promising lottery or other unexpected awards.
4. Do not disclose your handset IMEI or SIM card number to unknown callers. IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a unique code given by handset manufacturer for your number. This can be obtained by pressing *#06#.
5. In case of suspicious calls, report the same to the concerned security authorities / service provider.
6. Mainly not to recharge using DTH recharge coupons
Also, for further information and details, Airtel customers are requested to visit our website at: http://www.airtel.in/fraudAlert/fraudalert.html
For further assistance, mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We would be glad to have your feedback on our response. Please click on the below link to provide your feedback.
We thank you and value your association with Airtel.
Bharti Airtel Limited