In this episode, we visit the place that is believed to be the burial place of Abdul Qadir Bedil – a celebrated poet of the 17th century.
Here, we get to know about the following aspects in connection with the site:
- Bedil – one of the most well known and revered poets of Persian language
- The poetry societies, run by Afghan taxi drivers of Washington DC, dedicated to Bedil’s poetry
- Ghalib’s high opinion of Bedil’s poetry
- The story around Aurangzeb’s order and Bedil’s remark
- The argument about Bedil’s actual burial place
Hope you enjoy! 🙂
Celebrating GHALIB (Episode 1) – Let us take you to the place where the great poet Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan “Ghalib” once lived!
In this episode we go through the lanes of Purani Dilli (Old Delhi/Delhi 6), visit an old haveli that treasures several gems associated to the era of Ghalib and we also witness a quick tabla workshop ..to discuss how the people of Ghalib’s times used to wake up to the sound of tabla beats in the morning 🙂 We then also chitchat about small anecdotes, stories and poetry – everything Ghalib!
Shahjahanabad ki pechida dalilon si galiyaan, ek puraani haveli, tablay ki thaap pe jaagte kuchh dost.. aur Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan Ghalib ka zikr! Kuchh aisa hee nazara hai iss chhoti si peshkash mein: